Make a LOUD Joyful Noise
The Gospel Coalition, one of the most trustworthy and conservative organizations in modern Christendom, recently tackled the topic of how loud a worship service should be. You can read the blog post here. I have several takeaways from their article:
- I'm comforted to know we are not the only church who is asking this question.
- "The goal of music in the gathering isn't great sound or even great music. It's a church gathered and united in song." A congregation lifting their voices in praise is the reason we have music in church. Is the church singing?
- Comfort is not merely a function of volume, but harshness.
- The Scripture endorses loudness (Psalm 47:1; Psalm 150:5).
- Loudness is not a function of style, though it is often perceived to be.
- Managing the sound is a pastoral concern...and one we are paying attention to.