15 Changes 15 Years
I recently completed 15 years as the Sr. Pastor of New Life Church. I took a few moments to reflect on what I have learned from the experience. While it is not much of an exciting career path, it is a privilege to be sure, to be allowed by God and patient people to continue serving for such a long time. The 15 years have included births and deaths, exorcism, baptisms, court appearances, letters of recommendation, meetings, conferences, progress and losses, complaints, compliments, and more.
For Spring Break I want to share some of my reflections on the 15 years. Here are a few of the changes that have taken place in the past 15 years:
- The world was shocked that the World Trade Center had just been attacked. . . the first time!
- People were outraged that gas was over a dollar ($1.06) and a first-class stamp was $.29.
- The earth is home to a billion more people than it was in 1993.
- The internet is now useful.
- Dial-up isn't!
- West Linn High School was being remodeled. . . the first time!
- New Life Church was called West Linn Baptist Church.
- The church had only recently paid off the mortgage on their 1960's addition to building and had never purchased any other property.
- The church had been without a pastor for one week! The longest pastoral tenure had been seven and a half years.
- We had two services, one traditional and one contemporary.
- Freda Fox was still fourteen years from retirement and was the only church secretary to ever use a computer.
- The inside of the church was brown paneling.
- An elder was an old person who needed help across the street, not a church leader.
- The church had only one location.
- Our worship leaders at the Riverfalls campus were three and five years old.